Sunday, December 18, 2005

Bearable Moments

Friends and family, when they discover that I've written several technical books, ask me if I ever plan to write a novel. My stock response to that is "No! -- Writing a novel would be much more difficult for me, because in technical writing you just describe stuff, whereas in a novel, you have to create an entire internally consistent universe from whole cloth.".

Which makes Christopher Judd's Bearable Moments such a remarkable achievement. I've known Chris for years, and he's written a couple of fine technical books (Pro Eclipse JST: Plug-ins for J2EE Development and Enterprise Java Development on a Budget: Leveraging Java Open Source Technologies. Now, he's written his first children's book, Bearable Moments. One of the most daunting tasks facing any writer (no matter what the genre) is understanding and empathizing with the intended audience. To me, that makes writing a children's book one of the toughest jobs a writer can face. Hat's off to Chris -- I hope his venture into non-technical publishing garners him the accolades he deserves.

No comments: