Saturday, February 11, 2006

My Last Borland Post Ever (I Promise!)

Those of you who follow my blog know that I post an inordinate amount of material about Borland. I have a long-standing love for Borland: my first book was on Delphi (Developing with Delphi: Object-oriented Techniques) and my second was on JBuilder (JBuilder 3 Unleashed). I learned about real software development using Borland tools. When I bought my first computer, I bought just 2 pieces of software: DOS 3.3 and Turbo Pascal 5. And I didn't need any other software for almost a year.

Borland has perpetual financial and directional problems over the years. But, like loyal fans of Saturday Night Live, most of us stuck around even when it sucked (Inprise, anyone?)

Now, though, Borland has taken the last fatal step towards irrelevance: they are in the process of divesting their entire IDE division (check out this eWeek article). Yes, that's right: the company that brought us Turbo Pascal, Turbo C, Turbo Prolog (OK, maybe we didn't need that one), Delphi, and JBuilder will no longer sell a single compiler. I wonder what Anders thinks about this (or if he even noticed).

Borland is reinventing itself as a strictly ALM (Application Lifecycle Management) company, selling tools that have awesome support for Big Design Up Front (BDUF) like CaliberRM, TogetherJ, and the Segue tools they just acquired. What a great day for Waterfall projects (I wonder if they would consider sponsoring the Waterfall 2006 conference)?

For those of us with an irrational (pun intended) love of Borland, this is indeed a dark day. RIP.

No comments: